Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I Hate Noise

I finally bought the Nikon D80 (technically second time, but that's another story). I've been looking for it for the past 2 weeks in New York and every store that sold it for $925 was out of stock. Calumet had it for $950 but I didn't want to spend the extra $25- last week anyway. I couldn't wait anymore and bought it there today.

I also picked up a Nikkor 50mm F1.4 lens at B & H. It's not ideal for everyday situations but it will have to do until I can get a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

I compared shots to my company's Canon 20D, which I really shouldn't do because that camera is a different class than this one. The Canon, to me takes better photos. They have less noise. But I already knew that Canon's produce less noise as a general rule of thumb. I didn't but a Canon because the low end DSLRs they have looks cheap and are really mass consumer oriented. You can say that about the D80 but it feels more high quality than the Rebel XTi.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to learn to deal with the "noise", which in reality is like film grain, it's not noise at all! It just bothers me that the D80 produces a grain that isn't as fine as the 20D. But I can kinda fix it in post processing.



The above shot of the Final Fantasy III Trading Arts figurines was taken with my new toy with the aperture set open at 1.4 or 1.8, I forget. I deleted the RAW file.

No comments: