Monday, October 25, 2010

Going Dark

I'm going to China tomorrow for 6 days. I am not bringing my iPhone or laptop. The reason being last month the iPhone 4 was released in China and people have been going apeshit trying to buy it. So much so that many Chinese have resorted to importing from Hong Kong to skip the wait/pay less. So the gov have started to tax all "i" products going into China from Hong Kong (and from some reports, taxing in general).

People on the internet have been saying they have been taxing even iPhones/iPads/MacBooks that look clearly used. Normally it wouldn't be a problem for Americans but since I am flying in from Hong Kong, it's a different matter. And well, it's just not worth the risk/hassle when dealing with China. Yes, (Dapo) there is a difference between Hong Kong and China.

The tax on the iPhone is like $100 or something. I think it's more for a laptop if they choose to tax you. It seems like the customs officials will enforce this law if they feel like it (from what I am understanding). My mom is telling me not to bring anything. So I will be without a phone or laptop for 6 days. Which means I won't have any music or internet connection.

For. Six. Days.

I can't even remember the last time I went 6 days without going on the internet. Might have been never. I'm going to have to do some really creative juggling with my camera memory cards. I don't think I will fill them up in 6 days though. Let's hope.

I'll be back to the civilized world Oct 31/Nov 1st.

2 comments:

Mary said...

interconnectivity misses you, adam

Anonymous said...

I've only had to survive without the internet etc for that long several times...it almost killed me haha. I hope you enjoy(ed) your trip!