Saturday, December 5, 2009

What's old and ugly is new and cool again



I was invited to a 90s theme party tonight. Besides instantly thinking of JNCO jeans, which I've since threw out or gave away, I couldn't think of what the clothing style is. The girl throwing the party said, "plaid!" Oh yeah, the whole grunge look, which was just before my time.

6th grade is when I became fashion conscious. All the rage by then ('96) was JNCO jeans and maybe Korn t-shirts. Well, I have neither. Tonight while eating dinner with my father, I remember a plaid shirt I had in my closet. It sat there for years and I never bothered to wear it. It ws ugly. It's that distinctively 90s plaid too- fuzzy lines and all. Not like the blocky patterns that are popular today. It's also 3 shades of grey. Now that I think about it, it sounds kind of awesome, in a really ironic hipster way.

So I'll be wearing it tonight. I really wish I had the sense to keep a pair of JNCOs. It would be perfect right now.

No comments: