Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Buying Crap

I was seriously considering buying a Macbook pro this holiday season, but now that I use macs at work I don't really need one. I still have some odd consumeristic urge to drop money on something [big] so now I'm looking at the next big thing- a HDTV! I'm determined to buy one but can't for the life of me figure out where I'd be able to set one up in my house. Can't really afford to buy one big enough for my living room. Besides, we have a perfectly good and huge SDTV there right now.

My room is kinda small and I really can't fit anything else in here, especially something as, well, flat as a 32" LCD. The only thing I can think of is clearing out my stereo (who uses those things anymore?) and cd/dvd rack and putting it on top of my drawer. That would be kind of weird too because my drawer is like 4 feet tall and I'd most likely be sitting on my bed (backwards) to watch the damn thing and I'd be looking up at it. Seems like a lot of trouble for something I really don't need or have space for.

Maybe I should just not buy one till I move out. Or maybe I'll buy it anyway and worry about logistics later! Consumerism at it's finest.

PS this whole HDTV thing spawned because I plan on getting an Xbox 360 soon- something else I have no need or time for. What the hell is wrong with me?

4 comments:

Sandy P. said...

i think its because you have the privilege of buying crap like that. i say save your money so that you can somehow manage to move out and live life as an independent entity.

so yeah. i have to work with customers. dont worry, ive been continously searching for bigger and more exciting things...like moving to bigger and more exciting hubs of glassiness.

Unknown said...

I CAN afford to move out. But my savings has been taking a dip because I've been paying off Alfred on a loan. I paid them every month for the past 4/5 months with a check that is pretty equivalent to paying rent. It's actually more than I would have to pay for rent. That's where my "rent" money has been going.

I can either look for a place now or wait till spring when I get a raise. I think I'm going to wait so I can build up some money though. If I move out now I won't be able o afford all this crap. So I think I'll just wait till spring to move out.

sandy said...

sounds good. so i guess youre staying in nyc?

Unknown said...

for the next 1-3 years?