Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The color and the shapes

twenty

To prevent the rotting of my brain, I went to the Whitney today to see the William Eggleston exhibit, which closes in a few days. I'm really glad I went to see it. I could never see myself taking any photographs like he does. He captures something really unique in things that are mundane and seemingly uninteresting. A lot of times, I would glance over such things and never think to photograph them. I have done photographic essays and documentaries before but I would never capture like he does. Just a different approach and way of seeing.

That is something I am starting to explore on my long weeks between freelancing, or as Cecilia calls it, "premalancing." I'm looking at interesting ways to photograph around my house, which I find very boring as a photographic subject. I have always been thinking of my house in broad perspectives- the living room, the kitchen, the bathroom, etc. In that sense, the house is unphotogenic. With that in mind, I have decided to start simple and reduce everything to the basics: colors and shapes.

We'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looking at your food photographs make me hungry.