Saturday, March 17, 2007

New Cameras On The Way

I gotta stop looking on ebay because now I have a Nikon N80 and FM2n on the way. At least film cameras are (relatively) cheap now.

Going into the DSLR world suddenly REALLY made me realize just how dead film is. I didn't notice it in Alfred because, A. Alfred is a bubble in it's own dimension and B. Alfred doesn't move as fast with technology in the photography front as fast as say...RIT (which is a good thing in my opinion). From what I understand, the photo department in Alfred is real poor right now anyway. But right before I graduated expanded media bought a slew of Rebel XT or XTi's so....

Nikon had already announced early last year that they were going to stop all film camera production except for the F100 or F6 (can't remember which model) and FM10. I give it 1-2 more years before they stop producing film cameras completely. For all intent and purposes, film cameras are dead in the consumer and professional market. The only people that are still using it are artist.

I'm already imagining 10 years from now when film cameras will be ancient history and developing and printing will cost and arm and a leg and become a specialized, niche art form. I'll be holding onto my film cameras forever. The classics will retain or go up in value, the others, not so much.

No comments: