Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Two Years Later

7/3/07
5:30pm

As I got off the F train, a rush of nervousness came over me. It had just hit me what was happening. I walked out of the subway to a DUMBO that has drastically changed since I was last a frequent visitor of the neighborhood. A high-rise (now the second tallest building in Brooklyn) juts out of the skyline, new trendy shops dot the streets. Pedro's is undergoing a renovation? Their awning is gone. Two men sit on their sidewalk bench drinking beer.

I walked down Jay Street to the end where it meets the East River and go in to an old factory style building. My destination is 207. Hmm, I could have sworn they weren't on the second floor the last time I was here, but as soon as I got off, I remembered that they were in fact located on the second floor.

I got to the door, took a deep breath and walked in. The office didn't change much, although it looks like they have acquired a lot more "stuff" over the past two years. Mike, the Music Editor is sitting where Michael, the Designer used to sit. He recognizes me and waves me over. I say "hello". He calls Jonny, the Editor-in-Chief and tells him I'm here. I made my way around the desks and greet Conrad, the Senior Designer and then Jonny. We all go over to the front and sit on the couches to have my interview. They introduce me to Cecilia, the current Designer.

Jonny is wearing black Chuck Taylors. He never wore anything different, and is still wearing them! During the interview, Mike comes over and grabs and beer out of the fridge. I smile. Conrad is leaving in two weeks. Cecilia will take his place. The interview goes well, they want me on board. I left the office with a big smile. When I got home, the e-mail was already in my inbox offering me the job.

I am now the Designer for the L Magazine.

No comments: