Thursday, May 31, 2007

Chinese bars with Chinese People

I've been going to shoot pool with Paul on Tuesdays for a few months now, getting decent at it. Still not where I want to be, or where I should be given the time I've been playing. Anyway, last Tuesday, his brothers came too and we played for a bit.

Neither of them has work in the morning, like Paul and I and they wanted to go out. So we went to a Chinese Bar in Brooklyn and met up with some of their other friends. This is the second time I've been to a Chinese bar with Paul. The last time it was a sausage fest and Paul was like "This isn't how it usually is". He means there are usually girls.

Chinese bars are very different from uh, American bars or any variety of them in that theres usually rampant illegal activities going on in them. Like underage drinking and smoking. They give every table Styrofoam cups full of some dark grey liquid for you to put your cigarette ashes in. The first time I went, I was like "what is this?". Everyone also gets a cup with 5 dices in it to play a game called Bullshit with. This is standard at all Chinese bars.

This is also a huge reason why Paul finds white people bars boring- because everyone just stands around and talks and tries to look cool. Which I won't argue with, because it's true. Chinese people like to sit and play drinking games. I won't lie, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time than when I was playing drinking games with them.

There were also these two Chinese girls with us that were friends of friends named Tina and Martina. That creeped me out. What Chinese parents name their children Tina and (especially) Martina? I'm pretty sure they aren't sisters, but maybe the Chinese equvalents to people like "Mandy" and "Sandy" types that go out with each other.

Chinese people also like to drink really shitty beer. All of them ordered Bud Lites, or Heniken Lites. I got a Corona. That's all they usuall serve at these places. Bud, Heniken and Corona. And possibly Tsing Tao. Probably Tsing Tao.

As I said before, I took Paul that one time to an American bar and ordered us some Brooklyn Lagers, and he almost threw up.

It was fun though. Will I do it again? Probably once in a blue moon.

2 comments:

SJP said...

I'm glad to hear the infamous bullshit dice game was carried overseas. I'd be better at it if I was faster at translating the numbers. Be glad there isn't karaoke going on there too...or is there?

Unknown said...

OF COURSE THERES KARAOKE. I just forgot to mention it. Standard across the pond Soojye!