Monday, May 21, 2007

The Cooper Union Student Exhibition

Today the Cooper Union had its Student Exhibition (IE Senior Shows). A friend of mine (Lamare) in the Architecture school was in it. It's basically set up kind of like Alfred Senior shows, except not as organized or coherent. What I mean is, they don't place such MASSIVE importance on this one thing like Alfred does. Heck, I don't think they think of it as anything other than a "why not?" kind of deal.

Also, I don't think think it's just seniors who can put stuff in, as I know Lamare had stuff showing in previous years also. So it's basically a huge school wide "submit something" thing. Which is cool, except I couldn't tell what year the work was done in.

Got off the subway at Astor Place and immediately ran into Joann Dang so we walked in together.


lol, taped together. so shody.

I do not know much about architecture (at their level) but a few of the pieces I saw on the 7th floor were sooo badly put together, you could tell it was a rushed job. One piece have MASKING TAPE holding the foamcore together! I have a photo of it on my cell (the only photo I took) that I will post when I'm not feeling lazy. Unclean cut edges, smudges galore on a few other pieces. You would be so frowned upon if you even dared to put such travesty in an Alfred show. I guess standards are different.

Most of the work was subpar, senior work or not. Most of it didn't seem like senior work (at least I hope it wasn't). There was one piece that was really interesting though. It was suitcases stacked on the floor that had glass holes you could look into. And there were lots of neat little things in them (like little worlds) when you looked through the tiny glass holes.

What was impressive was the design stuff they had. There were a few strong pieces with solid concepts behind them. Also saw a bunch of lag heads, it was like another mini reunion. Ran into VANESSA Gursuch who's back from St Louis till Thursday. Did not expect to see her at all, but I was very happy and glad to have seen her. Also saw Nicole and Kristina when Kevon and I were getting drinks. I think Nicole is still kinda awkward about what happen between us. Whatever, it was so silly and long ago. Also ran into Sophia. A few others said they'd show up but I didn't see them. It was good to see what other art schools are doing. And no, they don't work their art students harder than Alfred, their engeineers...now that is a different story.

Oh, also ran into Richard, who is the son of one of my mom's best friends. I use to play video games with him when we were younger. He just finished his freshman year at Cooper Union in the engineering program and tells me from what he knows the artist have it the easiest there. So their you go.

No comments: